It’s that time of year again when the leaves start to change color, the days get shorter, and a chill begins to fill the air. Fall is officially upon us, and with it comes to all sorts of new cleaning challenges. Windows must be washed inside and out, carpets must be vacuumed and shampooed, furniture needs to be dusted, and baseboards need to be scrubbed.
In short, everything in your home needs a good deep cleaning. But where do you start? And how do you make sure you don’t miss anything?
To help you get started, here is a comprehensive deep cleaning checklist. This step-by-step guide covers everything from top to bottom, ensuring your home is sparkling clean for fall.
Your Kitchen Needs a Deep Clean
Your kitchen is one of the busiest rooms in your home, so it’s essential to keep it clean and clutter-free. Here are some deep cleaning tasks to add to your kitchen cleaning checklist:
- Wash all the dishes, pots, and pans.
- Scrub the sink and clean out the drain.
- Clean the inside and outside of the fridge.
- Clean the oven and stovetop.
- Wipe down all the cabinets and drawers.
- Sweep and mop the floor.
Next Up: The Bathroom
The bathroom is another high-traffic area in your home that needs to be kept clean. Here’s what to include on your bathroom deep cleaning checklist:
- Scrub the toilet bowl, seat, and lid.
- Wash the shower/tub, including the tile, curtain, and drain.
- Clean the sink, countertops, and faucets.
- Wipe down mirrors.
- Mop the floor.
- Don’t forget to empty the trash can!
Moving on to the Bedrooms
Your bedrooms should be your oasis, a place where you can relax and escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life. But if they’re not cleaned regularly, they can quickly become cluttered and chaotic. To keep your bedrooms feeling tranquil, add these tasks to your deep cleaning checklist:
- Dust all surfaces, including furniture, shelves, blinds, and windowsills.
- Vacuum and wash the floors.
- Wash all the bedding, including sheets, blankets, and pillowcases.
- If you have any clothes that need to be laundered, add them to the pile!
The Living Room Deserves a Deep Clean, Too!
The living room is another important space in your home that should be kept clean and clutter-free. Here’s what to include on your living room deep cleaning checklist:
- Dust all surfaces, including shelves, picture frames, and knick-knacks.
- Vacuum furniture, including under cushions.
- Wipe down hard surfaces like tables and chairs.
- Clean windows and mirrors.
- Vacuum and clean under any rugs or carpets.
- Wash throw pillows and blankets.
The Home Extends Beyond the Indoors…
Don’t forget about the spaces outside your home! These areas also need to be cleaned on a regular basis. Here are some tasks to add to your outdoor deep cleaning checklist:
- Wash the front door and any outdoor furniture.
- Clean gutters and downspouts.
- Trim bushes and hedges.
- Rake leaves and remove debris.
But When Should You Hire a Professional Cleaning Company?
Even if you have a comprehensive deep cleaning checklist, there are some tasks that are best left to the professionals. Hiring a professional cleaning company to come in and do a deep clean of your home on a regular basis (or even just once in a while) can take a huge load off of your shoulders.
Some tasks that are best left to the pros include:
1. Carpet cleaning: Steam cleaning or shampooing your carpets is a big job and one that is best left to professionals. Not only do they have the equipment and expertise to get your carpets looking and smelling fresh, but they can also help to prolong their lifespan.
2. Window cleaning: Cleaning the outside of your windows is a tough (and often dangerous) job. Hiring a professional residential window cleaning company to come and wash your windows for you will save you time, energy, and potentially a trip to the hospital.
3. Pressure washing: If your home’s exterior is looking a little worse for wear, pressure washing can help to restore it to its former glory. But be careful — if you don’t know what you’re doing, you could end up damaging your home’s siding or paint. It’s best to leave this one to the pros.
4. Gutter cleaning: Cleaning your gutters is messy and dangerous. If you don’t feel comfortable climbing a ladder and getting your hands dirty, hire a professional gutter cleaning company to do it for you. They’ll have the right tools and equipment to get the job done quickly and safely.
5. Chimney sweeping: The fireplace is one of the most used (and abused) features in most homes. As such, it is important to have it cleaned regularly. A professional chimney sweeper will help prevent fires and keep your home safe. 4
Now that you have a deep cleaning checklist, you’re ready to tackle all those cleaning tasks that have been neglected throughout the year. With a little elbow grease and some determination, your home will be spick and span in no time! Also, don’t forget that there are some tasks that are best left to the professionals.